MRXUH History Highlights
• Maria Reyna Hospital was first founded by Archb. James T.G. Hayes
• Residency Training Program for the Department of Pediatrics was first accredited
• Establishment of the Mindanao Consortium on Surgical Training (MCOST) between MRXUH and Capitol University Medical City (CUMC)
• Blessing of the Emergency and Operating Rooms (05-20-11)
• Groundbreaking Ceremony for the MRXUH Medical Specialty Center
• First MRXUH Fun Run for a Cause
• Blessing of the Private Room Expansion at the Medical Specialty Center (08-20-2012)
• Opening of the MRXUH Medical Specialty Center (08-22-2013)
• The MRXUH Breastfeeding Committee was established
• Ministry of Health of Royal Kingdom o f Bhutan visit (02-23-2013)
• Among the 12 recipients of the awards and the only hospital awardee during the Pahinungod — A Tribute to the City’s Partners in Development 2016.
• Celebrated the 1st MRXUH Quality Week with the theme “Quality Starts with Me”
• 60th Founding Anniversary
• Awarded PPS Breastfeeding Friendly Hospital of the Year by the Philippine Pediatric Society
• Awarded the Certificate of Commitment as Mother-Baby Friendly Hospital by the DOH Regional Office 10
• Celebrated the 1st MRXUH Breastfeeding Week
In 1958, the late Archbishop James Thomas Gibbons Hayes, SJ,DD, had a dream – a health project in Cagayan de Oro, his Diocese for the poor.
He invited the SPC Sisters to help actualize his dream of building a hospital in Mindanao to attend to the physical well-being of the people. The first four Sisters arrived in Cagayan de Oro in 1957, Sister Gregoire de Leon, Superior, with her were Sister Amparo Bernaldez, Sister Agnes Jereza, and Sister Teodora Jasmin.
Archbishop Patrick Cronin, SSC, DD succeeded Archbishop Hayes in 1972 and continued his legacy of compassion for the sick, poor, and the needy. He was then replaced by Most Rev. Jesus B. Tuquib, DD who automatically assumed the Chair of the Maria Reyna Hospital Board of Trustees.
On its 25th Anniversary in 1983, different activities were organized throughout the year. Departmentalization of medical practice formally began in 1993 with residency training program in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Maria Reyna Hospital continued to be the affiliating hospital of Nursing students. In 2005, Archbishop Jesus B. Tuquib, DD retired at the age of 76 and the Archdiocese welcomed its new shepherd in the person of his Excellency Most Rev, Antonio Ledesma, SJ, DD who also assumed the chair of the Board of Trustees.
Desiring to expand its services in order to serve more people in need of quality and affordable health care, the Board of Trustees decided to venture into a breaking through partnership in the history of SPC Hospital Administration and of the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro where the Maria Reyna Hospital is concerned. In June 29, 2010, The Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro, The Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres, and Xavier University – Ateneo de Cagayan forged a tripartite partnership and signed the Memorandum of Agreement as the new owners of the hospital.
With the change in the nature of ownership of the hospital came also the inevitable change of name. With the hospital as now the base hospital for the College of Medicine and Nursing of Xavier University, the Security of Exchange Commission approved the new name of the hospital in April 8, 2011 as the now Maria Reyna – Xavier University Hospital, Inc.
Maria Reyna-Xavier University Hospital, Inc. is a Catholic and accredited Tertiary, level 3, Teaching and Training institution owned by the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro City, the Xavier University, and the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres (SPC). Even with its pursuit for excellence, the hospital’s original charism remains to be the soul of its existence in the arena of caring for the sick and maintaining the total wellness not just of the people of Cagayan de Oro but of the neighboring towns and isles as well.